Want to make a difference? Learn a new skill? Increase your confidence?
SHAX provides positive and worthwhile volunteering and work placement opportunities for local people
Our volunteers come to SHAX for a variety of reasons – to improve their health & wellbeing – increase their confidence – help us support local people suffering from poverty and/or homelessness – gain work experience in a friendly environment – or increase their chances of employment. You can choose the tasks you’d like to learn/do, and can volunteer any time from one x 2-hour shift a week to as often as you’d like.
Here’s what Robbie had to say about his time at SHAX:
Our volunteers can choose from a range of tasks, including:
- Warehousing, stock control and storage
- Preparing emergency Starter Packs
- Driving or helping in the delivery van
- Basic repair & renovation of furniture
- Repair & checking of electrical items (PAT qualification available)
- Organising recycling of cloth, metal, glass & wood
- Merchandising, e.g. sorting small items for sale
- Office reception and admin duties
- Social media e.g. updating our Facebook page
What do our volunteers think?
“Volunteering at SHAX was a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and the work I was varied. This gave me the opportunity to move on to employment”
“Volunteering at SHAX during school breaks was a new experience for me. It helped me to build my confidence around new people”
“Volunteering with SHAX provided me with an opportunity to get out a couple of afternoons a week and do something productive. I feel my voluntary work with SHAX helped to secure my current job…I am grateful that SHAX provided me with an opportunity to develop work experience.”