SHAX provides positive and worthwhile volunteering opportunities for local people
Our volunteers come to SHAX for a variety of reasons – to improve their health & wellbeing or increase their confidence, to help us support local people suffering from poverty and/or homelessness, or to gain work experience in a friendly environment and increase their chances of employment. Volunteers choose what tasks they’d like to do, and can volunteer any time from one 2-hour shift per week to as often as they’d like.
Last year we recruited 34 new volunteers, 5 moved on to employment and 2 moved into further education and training programmes.
Our volunteers can choose from a range of tasks, including:
- Warehousing, stock control and storage
- Preparing emergency Starter Packs
- Driving or assisting in the delivery van with household collections and deliveries
- Basic repair & renovation of furniture
- Repair & checking of electrical items
- Organising recycling of cloth, metal, glass & wood
- Merchandising e.g. sorting bric-a-brac for sale
- Office reception and admin duties
- Social media e.g. updating our Facebook page
What do our volunteers think?
“Volunteering at SHAX was a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and the work I was varied. This gave me the opportunity to move on to employment”
“Volunteering at SHAX during school breaks was a new experience for me. It helped me to build my confidence around new people”
“Volunteering with SHAX provided me with an opportunity to get out a couple of afternoons a week and do something productive. I feel my voluntary work with SHAX helped to secure my current job…I am grateful that SHAX provided me with an opportunity to develop work experience.”